Simple, yet gorgeous: These earrings were a big hit, as part of our "basics" series of local jewelry-making classes. They are simple to make, and are a perfect Christmas, sweet-16 or Valentine's Day gift.
Created by: Janet Boyington
- Add a heishi bead* and pearl to a ball-end head pin. Begin a wire-wrapped loop, but don't close it yet. Add the sterling textured link, then complete the wrap. For step-by-step instructions on making wire-wrapped loops, see Jewelry Basics 101 (PDF).
- Twist to open the loop on the ear wire, add the textured link, twist loop closed.
- Enjoy wearing, gifting, or selling your new pearl earrings!
* Note: The TierraCast plated spacer bead is shown in the image, because we wanted to keep our class simple and affordable. However, you might prefer not to mix sterling and basemetal in one design. The sterling spacer disk works perfectly... sometimes. But the hole is about the same size as the ball on a ball-end head pin so you may need to tuck a seed bead (color of your choice) between the sterling spacer and the ball end. Or just use a seed bead instead of the silver spacer!
- 1 pair #34-569-04 TierraCast Sterling Silver Earring Hook with 2mm Bead
- 1 strand (use 2 beads) #20-638-09-011 Freshwater Pearl Beads, Faceted Potato, 8mm - White
- 1 ten-pack (use 2 pieces) #37-579 Sterling Silver Ball End Head Pin, 1.25"
- 2 each #44-050-71-61 Sterling Silver Jewelry Link, Textured, Round, 14mm
- 1 100 (use 2 beads) #49-957-03-3 TierraCast Silver Plated Heishi Beads, Cast, 3mm Heishi
- or -
2 each #26-584 Sterling Silver Disk Spacer Bead plus a seed bead
- and/or -
1 vial (use 2 beads) #20-228-21 TOHO Glass Seed Bead, Silver-lined, size 11/0, Silver Lined, 2.1mm
- Round-nose pliers and Chain-nose pliers
- Normally we'd recommend wire-cutters too, but the 1.25" head pin is just the right length for a single wrapped loop.