Created by: Mollie Valente
- Select and clean two matching glass pieces.
- Select an image and cut it to match the glass shape and size.
- Carefully wrap the glass with copper-foil tape. To create a tight seal, burnish the foil to the glass (a Sharpie pen handle makes a great burnishing tool).
- To form hanging loops attach the crimp ends to opposite sides of the pendant's top. Jump rings can also be substituted.
- Flux the copper foil, apply a thin layer of soft solder over the entire copper surface (tinning), and add a thicker layer of solder one side at a time. If you are using jump rings for hanging loops, add them now. Allow to cool.
- Use rubbing alcohol to clean the pendant and remove any excess flux.
- Use jump rings to attach the chain to the pendant loops; adjust your chain length to preference; use jump rings to attach the toggle clasp.
- Wire wrap six dangles (crystals and Czech beads). Use jump rings to attach three dangles to either side of the pendant.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos
- Basic Jewelry-Making Technique Sheet (PDF)
- Blog post: How to Solder Glass Pendants
- Soldering Information
- 1 spool [use 20"] #40-099-17-1 Chain, Footage, Flat with Figure Eight, 2.9mm
- 1 gross [use 1, not shown] #39-190-09-1 Clasp, Toggle, Cast, 9.5mm
- 1 ea #69-095-01 Copper Foil Tape, Simply Swank, 1/4", 15' Feet
- 1 gross [use 2] #41-254-1 Crimp, Fold Over, Medium
- 1 doz [use 4] #05-000-04-157 Crystal, Bead, Faceted Round, 4mm
- 1 ea #69-052 Flux, Stay-Clean Liquid - 4 oz
- 1 oz [use 6] #37-411-1 Head Pin, 7/8", Thin
- 1 oz [use 6] #37-145-1 Jump Ring, Round, 6mm
- 1 oz [use 6] #37-133-1 Jump Ring, Round, Heavy, 4.5mm
- 1 pkg of 24 [use 2] #83-505-01 Memory Glass™, 1" Square
- 1 ea #69-068 Solder, Choice™