Tips for Using Sterling Silver Wire, Gold-Filled Wire, and Precious Metal Sheet
- To keep track of your different materials of wire and sheet, mark each material with a different color of permanent marker. (Sharpies work great.)
- Any writing on wire or sheet is easily removed with acetone or fingernail polish remover.
- To prevent pliers from marring delicate, expensive materials such as sterling silver wire, fine silver wire, and gold-filled wire: wrap a bit of tape around serrated pliers so the serrations don't scrape or mar your wire. Nylon jaw pliers are also very convenient to use, and Tool Magic anti-scratch coating is a staff favorite!
- With all wire gauges: the larger the gauge, the smaller (thinner) the wire diameter.
- New to working with wire? See Wire Jewelry 101 for more information about gauges, hardness, and what size of wire is best for which types of jewelry projects.
See Related Products links (below) for similar items and additional jewelry-making supplies that are often used with this item.