Red Bird Enameled Earrings Tutorial
Created by: Rita Hutchinson
- Position and emboss pattern on blanks with the Big Shot Jewelry Studio and embossing die. (See Big Shot Embossing blog article)
- Counter-enamel the blank (fire the back) with black enamel. Allow to cool and then clean with penny brite. (See How to Torch-Fire Enamels.)
- Create a small amount of enamel paste (use distilled water or Klyr-fire) in red and translucent brown, apply to blank as desired. Allow to dry and then fire.
- Allow to cool and remove excess firescale by carefully sanding non-enameled areas.
Designer Tips, continued
- Wire-wrap Crystal bead to charm and attach to earwire. Repeat. See looping instructions. (Crimp Pliers are fantastic for tucking in the tail on wire wrapped loops.)
- Apply Novacan patina with Q-Tip to wire areas. Rinse and dry.
- 2 each #44-780-03 Copper Stamping Blank, Tablet with Hole
- 1 dozen [use 2] #05-000-06-21 Swarovski 5000 Faceted Round Beads, 6mm - Light Siam
- 1 each #81-500-1880-S Thompson Opaque 80-mesh Enamel for Metals - Flame Red, Sample
- 1 each #81-500-2120-S Thompson Translucent 80-mesh Enamel for Metals - Otter Brown, Sample
- 1 each #81-500-1995-S Thompson Opaque 80-mesh Enamel for Metals - Black, Sample
- 1 spool [use about a foot] #47-405-22 Copper Jewelry Wire, 22ga, Round, 125'
- 1 gross [use 2] #34-362-7 Antiqued Copper Plated Earring Hook Findings, Plain
- 1 gross [use 2] #33-961 Clear Rubber Earring Back, Wire Keeper
- #69-500 Sizzix Big Shot Jewelry Studio Machine
- #69-325-003 Vintaj DecoEmboss, Die, Woodland Birds
- #69-620 Handy Flame Butane Torch
- #65-153 Torching Basket for Enameling by Eugenia Chan
- #69-354-9 EURO TOOL Tripod with Mesh Screen, 9"
- #69-650-S Small 80-Mesh Screen Sifter
- #69-428 EURO TOOL Fiber-Grip Cross-Locking Tweezer, 6.25"
- #86-221-07 Penny Brite Copper Gel
- #69-056 EURO TOOL Side Flush Cutter
- #65-010 Tool, Pliers, Crimping, 5"
- #69-257-0000 Tool, Sanding Sponges, Set
- #69-275-09 Wubbers Bent Chain-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #69-275-02 Wubbers Round-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- Distilled Water
- Butane Canister
- Plastic palette (for mixing enamel paste)