Sunny Day Skull Earrings Tutorial
Created by: Rita Hutchinson
- Create skull dangles and outer-circle matubo bead dangles with headpins, corrugated beads, and seed beads.
For step-by-step direction on making head pin loops, see Jewelry Basics 101 (PDF)
- Wrap wire around a 1-3/4" round form about 3 times. From this, cut 2 matching pieces of wire (each ring should overlap at the ends by about 1/2", in other words, be a bit more than 2" long).
- Artistic Wire is soft. Hammer the ring of wire with the rawhide mallet on your steel block. This shouldn't change the shape of the wire, but will work-harden it and help to retain the circle shape.
- Create a loop on one end of the wire ring, and then string on seed beads and matubo dangles as desired.
- Finish the ring with a second loop once completed, and adjust these two loops into alignment. (If the wire is too long, you may trim it slightly).
- Add jump ring to skull dangle. (See Jewelry Basics 101 for best way to open and close jump rings.)
- Open earwire loop, and add the embellished wire ring and the skull's jump ring to the ear wire loop. Securely close loop.
- Repeat for other earring.
- 1 strand (use 2 beads) #75-000-94-06-00 Dyed Magnesite Gemstone Beads, Skull, 12mm - Multi-color
- 1 tube (use 4 beads) #23-246-1511 Czech Glass Matubo 3-Cut Bead, 6/0 - Opaque Red Picasso
- 1 tube (use 4 beads) #23-246-1090 Czech Glass Matubo 3-Cut Bead, 6/0 - Turquoise Blue Picasso
- 1 tube (use 4 beads) #23-246-1091 Czech Glass Matubo 3-Cut Bead, 6/0 - Lemon Picasso
- 1 tube (use 60 beads) #20-228-610 TOHO Glass Seed Bead, Matte Black, size 11/0, Matte, 2.1mm
- 1 gross (use 18 beads) #26-463-3 3mm Round Corrugated Beads - Silver Plated
- 1 gross (use 2) #34-362-3 Silver Plated Earring Hook Findings, Plain
- 1 oz (use 2) #37-145-3 Silver Plated Jump Ring, Round, 6mm
- 1 spool (use about 20") #46-450-21 Artistic Wire Silver Plated Copper Jewelry Wire, 20ga, 25ft
- 1 hundred (use 10 pins) #37-099-15-3 Silver Plated Ball End Head Pin, Standard, 1.5"
- #69-125 Steel 4" Square Block
- #69-122 EURO TOOL Mallet, Rawhide
- #69-056 EURO TOOL Side Flush Cutter
- #69-275-09 Wubbers Bent Chain-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #69-275-03 Wubbers Chain-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #69-275-02 Wubbers Round-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- A form for the hoop shape: Round bottle, dowel or other item approximately 1-3/4" diameter