Ship's Lantern Filigree Earrings Tutorial
Created by: Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Continued Below...
- Antique the filigrees with Novacan or Win-Ox (see tip sheet in parts list below) and set aside.
- Add crystal and metal beads to the head pins, and make wrapped loops.
- For the top beaded pin, use an eye pin, or cut the ball off a ball-end head and make a simple loop on the bottom.
- Make sure your top loop is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the bottom loop, so the earring hangs straight. If necessary, use 2 pairs of flat-nose pliers to adjust the angle after finishing the loops.
- Use jump rings to attach the bottom dangles to the filigree.
- 1 gross [use 6] #26-473-6 Bead, 3mm Cornerless Cube
- 1 gross [use 6] #26-463-6 Bead, 3mm Round, Corrugated
- 1 gross [use 6] #24-104-6 Bead, Filigree, 4mm Round
- Use 14 4mm Swarovski Crystal Bicone beads in your favorite mixed hues -- I used shades of Chrysolite and Indian Sapphire.
- 1 doz [use 2] #44-149-0 Filigree, Lantern Drop, Raw Brass
- 1 pair #34-063-41 French Hook Ear Wire, Niobium
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 8] #37-091-15-6 Head Pin, 1.5", Thin, Ball End
- 1 oz [use 6] #37-100-6 Jump Ring, Round, Assorted Sizes
- 1 #86-310 Novacan Patina
- #69-269-02 Tool, German, Round-Nose Pliers, 4.5"
- #69-271-91 Tool, Glitter, Nylon Jaw, Flat-Nose Pliers
- #65-507 Tool, Heavy-Duty Cutter, 5.5"
- #69-275-31 Tool, Wubbers™, Medium, Flat-Nose Pliers