Scotch Peak Earring Tutorial
Created by: Amy Mickelson
- Use metal shears to cut the copper strip or sheet to desired size.
- Texturize metal if desired, with texturing hammers or the pein side of a hammer.
- Punch the holes for the ear wires using a metal hole punch.
- File the edges of the metal smooth.
- Follow the product instructions to darken the copper with liver of sulfur or other patina.
- Remove some of the patina by lightly sanding with a reliefing block or fine steel wool.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- For each earring, cut a 8-10" piece of 24-gauge wire, and string on 10-15 or more small beads.
- Leave about a 1" length of wire on the back side of the copper piece, and wrap the wire around the copper, so that a bead or two are on the front of almost every row of wraps.
- Finish the back by wrapping the two ends of wire together, cutting excess, and tuck the wrapped end under the rows of wire on the back.
- Slide each ear wire through the hole in the wrapped copper piece, and add a few beads to the ear wire for visual interest.
- 1 spool [use 16-20"] #46-454-21 Artistic Wire® Silver Plated Copper Wire, 24ga, 45ft
- 1 pkg of 6 [use 1] #64-981-20-5 Copper Sheet, 20 Gauge, 6x0.5"
- 1 strand [use 12] #28-000-011-953 Crystal Beads, Faceted Rondelle, 3mm - Light Rainbow (Clearance)
- 1 strand [use 15-20] #21-523-322 Electroplated Hematine Gemstone Bead, Square Heishi, 3mm - Green
- 1 0.5 gross [use 2] #34-173-3 Silver Plated Kidney Ear Wire, 25mm
- 1 each #86-322 XL GEL Liver of Sulphur, 2 oz.
- #69-271-99 EURO TOOL Glitter, Four-Piece Set
- #69-238 EURO TOOL Hole Punch, Round, 1.5mm hole
- #69-230 EURO TOOL Shear, 7"
- #69-138 Tool, Chasing Hammer
- #69-142 Tool, Needle File Set, 10pc
- #69-108 Tool, Steel Square Block, 2.3"
- #69-327 Vintaj Metal Reliefing Block