Poppy Girl Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Mollie Valente
Prepare the Blanks: Continued Below...
- On the first blank, mark placement and punch 1/16" holes; mark and punch a centered hanging hole. Repeat for second blank, being careful to match the hole placement.
- Follow the instructions that come with the BIGkick™ to emboss the brass blank.
- Patina the blanks and use the reliefing block to polish the high points of the embossed pattern. Add the Image:
- Roughly clip out your desired image.
- Seal the backside of the image with clear packing tape.
- Measure and cut the image so it is just slightly larger than the "window" opening.
- Seal the front side of the image with clear packing tape.
- Cut the tape so there is just 1/16th of an inch overhang; the overhanging tape allows you to adhere the image to the blank (be careful to line up the image with the window opening).
Assemble the Pendant: Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- Place a scrap of leather on the steel block to protect the decorative rivet heads.
- Use traditional riveting methods to rivet the four corners.
- Add the jump ring to the hanging hole. Add two decorative metal beads to the jump ring then close. Finish with Necklace Chain and Beaded Clasp:
- String the pendant onto the chain.
- On the right-hand side create a beaded link with clasp. Attach an eye pin to the first chain link and string on a metal bead, crystal bead, and metal bead; finish with a wire-wrapped loop and clasp.
- On the left-hand side create a beaded loop. Attach an eye pin to the last chain link and string on a metal bead, crystal bead, and metal bead; finish with a wire-wrapped loop.
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 6] #26-155-32-6 Bead, Metal, Rondelle, 3.2mm, Antiqued Brass Plated
- 1 pkg of 10 sets [use 1 set] #44-721-02 Blank, Rectangular Door with Round Window
- 1 spool [use 18"] #40-099-60-6 Chain, Footage, Flattened Cable, 1.9mm, Antiqued Brass Plated
- 1 dozen [use 1] #39-340-6 Clasp, Lobster, 10mm, Antiqued Brass Plated
- 1 each [use 1 image] #83-231-01-001 Collage Sheet, World Ephemera, Square
- 1 dozen [use 2] #05-328-06-157 Crystal, Bead, Faceted Bicone, 6mm, Crystal Copper
- 1 ounce [use 2] #37-722-6 Eye Pin, 2", Standard, Antiqued Brass
- 1 ounce [use 1] #37-167-6 Jump Ring, Round, 8mm, Antiqued Brass Plated
- 1 each #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- 1 pkg of 10 [use 4] #69-971-05-5 Rivet, Flower, Antiqued Silver Plated
- #69-325-037 Sizzix DecoEmboss Botanical Swirls Embossing Die ** Please note: This "Botanical Swirls" die is similar to the out-of-production Fern Fronds die that was originally used for this project.
- #69-271-99 Tool, Glitter, Four-Piece Set
- #69-137 Tool, Hammer, Swiss Style
- #69-235 Tool, Metal Punch, Two Hole
- #69-056 Tool, Side Flush Cutter
- #69-125 Tool, Steel 4" Square Block
- #69-327 Vintaj® Metal Reliefing Block
- Sizzix® BIGkick™, Vintaj® Edition, or the Sizzix Big Shot (for use with the DecoEmboss die) - or - your favorite rolling mill or embossing machine, with a pattern of your choice
- Extra-fine point Sharpie / permanent marker
- Clear packing tape
- Piece of thick leather to cushion patterned rivet head
- Rings & Things ruler