J is for January - Birthstone Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Janet Boyington
- Place your charm on a steel block, and use a brass hammer and letter of your choice to stamp the monogram / initial. New to metal stamping? See Metal Stamping Technique Sheet below.
- Following instructions on package, oxidize design with Liver of Sulphur, or apply Stamp Enamel.
- Allow to dry, then polish letter charm to a high shine with Ultra Polishing Pad. (Or for a matte finish, use steel wool.)
- Make a wire-wrapped loop with the head pin and garnet bead. New to jewelry-making? See Jewelry Basics 101 below, for looping options and most secure way to open andn close a jump ring.
- Use a jump ring to add wire-wrapped loop to chain.
- Use another jump ring to add letter charm to chain.
- 1 strand (use 1 bead) #21-886-008-09 6mm Round Garnet Beads
- 1 each #50-101-04-16 Sterling Silver Faceted Ball Chain Necklace, 16", 1.5mm
- 1 each #44-750-58 24ga Sterling Silver Blank, Round with Loop, 14x12mm
- 1 ten (use 1 piece) #37-505 Sterling Silver Head Pin, 1-1/2", 0.020" Diameter
- 1 ten (use 2 pieces) #37-215-230 Sterling Silver Jump Ring, Oval, 3.0x4.6mm
- Liver of Sulphur, or Stamp Enamel
- Monogram Stamp Set
- Brass Hammer
- Steel Block
- Polishing Cloth (or steel wool)
- Round-Nose Pliers
- Chain-Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters
For additional colors and sizes, or similar items, click into the "Related Products" tab of any item.