Botanical Layering Necklace Tutorial
This necklace has no clasp, and is meant to be slipped on over the head. If you prefer, use a shorter chain, and clasp of your choice.
Created by: Rita Hutchinson
- Emboss the brass disk with the embossing die using the Big Shot jewelry studio (tutorial link below). Vintaj brass is easier to emboss, than the scored disk.
- Punch 1 top and 3 bottom holes in the embossed disk.
- Apply patina colors as desired. Allow to dry, and then buff color off the high points with reliefing block.
- Attach tassels to 3 bottom holes, using the attached jump rings.
For best way to open and close jump rings, see Jump Ring Hint in Jewelry Basics 101 (PDF)
- Add jump ring and one decorative heishi bead to top hole, and attach crystal sew-on stone.
How to emboss metal using the Vintaj BigKICK or Sizzix Big ShotSuggested Supplies
- Open end ring on chain (the same way you open a jump ring), and connect to the other end of the chain, creating an endless loop.
- Add another jump ring and decorative heishi bead to other hole of crystal, and attach to any link of the chain.
- 1 each #03-252-20-24 Swarovski 3252 Sew-on Emerald Cut, 20x14mm - Jet
- 1 dozen (use 1) #44-499-0 Disk, Round, 25mm, 1 Side Scored
- 3 feet #40-090-15-4 Gold Plated Rollo Chain by the FOOT, 3.9mm
- 1 gross (use 2) #26-233-0 Brass Metal Beads, Heishi-Style, 3.4x1mm
- 1 oz (use 2) #37-145-0 Raw Brass Jump Ring, Round, 6mm
- 1 each #86-422-001 Ranger Patina, Vintaj - Onyx
- 1 each #86-422-026 Ranger Patina, Vintaj - Pyrite
Additional SuppliesAlso See
- #69-389 Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet
- #69-327 Vintaj Metal Reliefing Block
- #69-325-037 Sizzix DecoEmboss Botanical Swirls Embossing Die
- #69-500 Sizzix Big Shot Jewelry Studio Machine
- #69-275-09 Wubbers Bent Chain-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #69-275-03 Wubbers Chain-Nose Jewelry Making Pliers
- #69-238 EURO TOOL Hole Punch, Round, 1.5mm hole
- #86-930 Ranger Artist Brush Set - 7 pieces