One or more parts (or tools) used in this project are no longer available, so we've moved the whole project into the "Misc Jewelry Tutorials with Issues" area while we decide what we want to do about it: find a good sub, re-make this project, or retire the tutorial. Designer TipsFamiliarize yourself with your rolling machine.
To use Movers and Shapers Magnetic dies using your BigKICK machine, you will need the Shuttle from the Conversion Bundle and the Cutting Pad from your BigKICK. Read and follow the instructions printed on the shuttle
, first! Before rolling, layer your items:
1) Cutting Pad (top)
2) Leather (smooth side down)
3) Die (foam side up, magnet side down)
4) Shuttle (bottom)Cut and punch leather flowers using:
1 #61-092-59 - metallic gold leather 1-3/8" flower
1 #61-093-48 - sand leather 1-1/4" flower
1 #61-094-01-17 - turquoise leather 3/4" flower
1 #69-234 - punch a hole in each leather flower using the 1.25mm hole punchShape metal flowers:
1 #69-199 - Dapping Set (see blog for tips
on how to use)
1 #69-345 - Brass Hammer (best hammer for dapping and doming)
2 #88-103-04-0 - Lightly dome this large metal flower blankAssemble:
1 Basic Jewelry Making Tool Set (such as #69-291), for creating earrings.
1 #68-007-01 - Technique sheet on jewelry making basics.
2 #37-422-6 - Carefully bend each head pin into an L shape to hold the flowers in a gently dangling manner once all pieces have been arranged.
2 #05-045-04-445 - Add one 4mm Swarovski Rondelle Crystal Paradise bead to the head pin.
2 #88-100-11-0 - Place a reversed bead cap on each crystal.
Continue layering: Small turquoise flower, dapped metal flower, medium sand flower, large metallic gold flower.
Bend the head pin in a 90 degree angle, wire wrap the end making a loop.
1 #34-362-6 - Gently opening the loop of the French hook, attach the layered flower. Tips
- You can lightly polish the high points of the bead cap for more dramatic contrast and interest.
- A ball-end head pin would be a nice decorative element.
- You can use other colors of leather, crystal and findings to suit your palette. (Click the "Related Products" tab of any item, to find similar items.)
- The dapped metal flower could either curve toward the back or the front of the earring. This design has it curving back.
- The die will cut into the cutting pad as it cuts the leather – do not be alarmed; this is normal.