A Whale of a Tail Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Veronica Greenwood
- Cut three equal lengths of waxed cord (make sure to cut enough cord for the knotting).
- Fold all three cords in half and slide your pendant to the center of one of the cords.
- Knot all three cords together on each side of the pendent (you will have one cord thru the pendent and two cords behind the pendant).
- All knots in this project are basic overhand knots.
- Randomly knot and add beads in a pattern that you like until you get your desired look and length.
- On first side, cut off the extra cord and put all three cord ends into one of the center crimps. Using needle-nose pliers, smash the center crimp.
- Repeat on other side of necklace.
Designer Tips, Continued
- Using needle nose pliers open the jump ring on the lobster clasp and attach to the loop on crimp end. For tips on securely opening and closing jump rings, see Jewelry Basics 101 (PDF).
- Attach a jump ring to the crimp end on the other side.
- 1 ten-pack (use 4 beads) #49-957-60-6 TierraCast Distressed Oval Bead - Antiqued Brass Plated
- 1 each #29-828 Bone Pendant, Whale Tail
- 1 hundred (use 10 beads) #26-155-40-2 Yellow Plated Metal Beads, Rondelle, 4mm
- 1 hundred (use 4 beads) #25-151-2 Antiqued Bone Beads, Round, 6mm, Carved
- 1 strand (use 4 beads) #21-001-194-02 Rainbow Amazonite Gemstone Beads, 8mm Round with Large Hole
- 1 tube (use 13 beads) #23-246-1090 Czech Glass Matubo 3-Cut Bead, 6/0 - Turquoise Blue Picasso (or a similar size 6 glass bead)
- 1 spool (use approx. 6 feet) #61-541-124-01 Waxed Cotton Cord, 1mm, 150yd - Natural
- 2 each #41-151-99-30-0 JBB Findings Brass Center-Crimp Tube with Loop, 2.8mm I.D.
- 1 each #39-648 1/20, 14kt Gold-Filled Lobster Clasp, 10mm
- 1 ten-pack (use 1 piece) #37-391-550 Gold-Filled Jump Ring, Round - 5mm, 19.5-gauge
- Needle-nose pliers (a few options are linked above)
For additional colors and sizes, or similar items, click into the "Related Products" tab of any item.