Chain & Cord
Choose from a huge array of beading wire, beading thread, and jewelry cord - from brand-name favorites like Beadalon, Soft Flex, Fireline and Stretch Magic, to hand dyed silk ribbon, leather cord, Chinese knotting cord, and more! Natural-material stringing materials include cotton cord, waxed linen cord, and polished hemp twine - all great choices for men's jewelry as well as vegan couture. Black rubber cord and rubber tubing provide you with easy options for making timelessly stylish black necklaces and more.
Not sure where to get started? Check out our free projects and helpful guides (no blinkin' ads and no login required).
Need help? Try
Types of Jewelry Chain and How To Use Them
Bulk chain is sold by the spool, meter, or foot. At Rings & Things, you'll find over 400 styles, sizes, and colors! Types of bulk jewelry chain include cable chain, curb chain, rolo chain, antique chain and much more in silver plate, gold plate, brass, copper, gunmetal, white plate, sterling silver, and gold fill. Ways to use bulk chain in jewelry projects include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Make custom-length bracelets and necklaces — our finished chain necklaces and chain bracelets are great if you want standard lengths, but with bulk chain you can cut the chain to any length you want! You can make long wrap bracelets (as seen in the Tree of Life Lashed Chain & Leather Wrap Bracelet Tutorial), charm bracelets to custom fit any wrist, short chokers that sexily hug the neck, long flapper-length necklaces, and every length in between. You can even knot together several lengths of chain to create an easy and attractive focal element!
- Make statement necklaces — use multiple strands of chain to make popular bib necklaces and statement necklaces. See our Random Scraps Bib Necklace Tutorial for a good how-to example!
- Bling out with purse chain — use larger types of bulk chain to make trendy purse straps on handcrafted purses and tote bags.
- Choose unique chain styles that stand out — while finished chain necklaces and chain bracelets are handy, the types of chain you can buy them in are limited. With bulk jewelry chain, you can choose from a huge variety of styles, widths, and platings!
- Make custom-fit fashion belts — nothing could be easier than turning a fun style of chain (or two) into a fashion statement that shows off your beautiful curves! Bulk chain gives you both the length you need and the variety of styles to create chain belts that drape attractively around the hips! Cut to your desired length, then add a large lobster clasp several links in from the end of one side. You can optionally add tassels or other dangles on the ends of your chain.
- Create your own tassels — make your own tassels for earrings, necklaces, and more by cutting several short lengths of dainty chain and connecting them together at the top. Tassels make great features on earrings, necklaces, chain belts, and more!
- Make your own extender chains — extender chains are a great way to make your necklaces more versatile and more personalized. To make your own extender chain, cut a 2-3 inch length of chain (chain scraps can be useful here!), and add a clasp or clip on one end. Attach it to the back of your necklace to make the necklace instantly adjustable in length!
- Use as a foundation for cascading drops — instead of having to build your own chain with jump rings, use short lengths of ready-made chain as the foundation for cascading earrings! Attach dangles to each chain link to create beautiful vertical design elements that look stunning.
- Construct hair chain and head pieces — calling all costumers, belly dancers, and bohemians! Bulk chain is an integral supply for making gorgeous, flowing head pieces and hair chain to use in medieval costuming, SCA, Renaissance Festivals, belly dance, steampunk styles, fantasy dress, and more.
Necklace chain & bracelet chain come with a clasp already attached for super easy DIY jewelry making! Types available include serpentine chain, cobra chain, cable chain, and more. Use them the following ways:
- Wear these chains as-is — they make simple, elegant necklaces and bracelets without you having to lift a finger!
- Embellish them for a personalized look - it's simple to add a pendant to chain necklaces with a bail or jump ring. Chain bracelets can easily become charm bracelets. Create your own beaded dangles, or attach ready-made charms with jump rings.
You might also be interested in: