Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 07:15:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8432 Posts in 1727 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Misc. Stock Tips & Questions (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  Spring bracelet #61-459
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring bracelet #61-459  (Read 1889 times)
akuchars

« on: March 06, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »

I have a beaded bracelet that is strung on a stretch metal spring. It is stronger than other elastic cords I have seen used for the same purpose. I am hoping this is the same type of material.  Basically I am trying to determine if I can string a fully beaded bracelet on this permanently? I am hoping that the bracelet can be closed permanently and it could be pulled on and off easily by the stretch or elastically of the spring.   Would I need any sort of glue or epoxy to close the spring permanently? Thanks! 
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:44 am »

Yes, the stretchy spring bracelets can be used for a permanently-strung bracelet.
I strung a few of these bracelets with glass trade beads a few years ago, to see how well they would hold up.  One of the bracelets worked perfectly (it had 2 sizes of glass "snake" beads), and I still have this bracelet. The other bracelet was too heavy. It was covered with 12-14mm bicone "Vaseline" beads and 10mm recycled glass beads. I could tell it was too heavy right away, because the weight made it "bounce" (spring) on my wrist, but I kept wearing it anyhow and one day playing frisbee with my kids the spring finally popped open and the beads went flying. (I am a tough wear-tester!)
So, when you string one of these bracelets, test it out by briefly wearing it.  Move your arm like you're bouncing a basketball.  If the bracelet feels like a normal bracelet on your wrist, then it is a good weight.  If, however, you can feel the stretchy bracelet "springing" and the beads on it bouncing while the bracelet stretches, then the beads are too heavy and it will eventually pop apart.
I did not put any glue or epoxy on the ends of my springy bracelets.  

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
akuchars

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »

Thanks for the fast reply! Do you think the printed bamboo beads would work well with these?
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:53:46 pm »

Yes, the bamboo beads with the printed decals would work well on the springy bracelets. Be sure to stick with the styles that say "Large hole", because this should mean they have a hole at least 2mm or larger. These beads are nice and lightweight, but their holes are a bit rough for some types of cording. The springy metal bracelets are perfect for them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:56:35 pm by Polly » Logged

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: