Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:49:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8414 Posts in 1724 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Stringing & Cording (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  question about 1.1 mm chain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: question about 1.1 mm chain  (Read 3255 times)
Polli

« on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »

Looking at silver plated chain, 40-099-09-3.  I'm wondering if the links are wide enough for a jump ring or ear wire to go through?  And will it go through the hole on, say, a 6 or 8 mm swarovski bead?

Thanks!

Polli
RitaD
Global Moderator

Inventory Queen

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:27 pm »

The hole size tolerance on Swarovski 6mm bicones is .9-1.1mm, so probably not.  The tolerance on their 8mm bicones is 1.1-1.3mm, so chances are good the chain will fit through. 
Other styles of Swarovski crystal bead have different hole size ranges, but I can research specific individual items as needed.

Rita Hutchinson
Purchasing Agent and Inventory Queen - Rings & Things

All philosophy lies in two words, sustain and abstain.
Polli

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »

That's very helpful as a guideline, thanks!  But are the links big enough to go over a 4 or 5 mm jumpring?  I'm thinking of using it for dangling earrings. . .

Thanks!
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:23 am »

The 40-099-09-3 flattened cable chain is definitely too fine to go directly onto an ear wire's loop without assistance. Very thin jump rings will go directly into the links, but the thinner the jump ring, the weaker it is.  2 solutions I can think of, to make a more secure piece of jewelry are:
- Widen the top link (that you're going to hook onto your ear wire) with an awl or pushpin.  I put the chain on a piece of styrofoam or a phone book (I look up all my phone #'s and addresses on the internet now anyhow - so might as well use the phone book for something!), then gently "round" the end link by poking an awl or pushpin into it.  This will allow it to fit onto a larger jump ring, or possibly even a fine-gauge ear wire.
- The other solution is to use fine-gauge wire or thin head pins and wire-wrap your components together. Make a small beaded dangle to decorate the top, and before you close the loop, slide both your ear wire and the chain onto it, then wire-wrap it closed.  Then decorate the rest of the chain as desired.  You would get an effect similar to these chain earrings or this pair of ear thread earrings (but with a dangle or 2 at the very top, instead of beginning at the middle).

For wire-wrapped loops, see the PDF instructions for "Wire Loops" near the top of our Designer Tip Sheets page: http://www.rings-things.com/projects .

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: