Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:24:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8444 Posts in 1727 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Misc. Stock Tips & Questions (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  looking for dog-bone or knuckle-bone shaped carnelian beads
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking for dog-bone or knuckle-bone shaped carnelian beads  (Read 20733 times)
Polly
Administrator

« on: September 17, 2003, 11:24:02 am »

Hi Luann,

We have had some carnelian knucklebone beads at our bead shows, but I'm not sure if we currently have any on the road.  (But I know there are none currently in the warehouse.)

I should be able to check on Friday (Sep 19 2003) ... road show stock will be in the warehouse for the weekend before it goes back out on the road.

I will try to get you some prices and sizes then.
If we don't currently have any ... I'm sure we can special order them.  
What size(s) would you be interested in, and about how many?  (I know, depends on how much they cost ... )  
IfI find some in stock, I should be able grab a few strands while they're in the warehouse.

If we don't currently have any, there is either a 10 strand or 50 strand minimum order.  
I hope to have more info in about a week!

Right now might be a good time to order them.
We have a couple of our buyers in Hong Kong right now, and continuing on into mainland China next, so we could group your special order with our regular orders ... it might slow it down a bit, but would save a bundle on shipping.

--Polly

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 11:35:58 am »

I mis-remembered the week ... our trunk is still in Ohio this week.  It will be back home NEXT weekend, so I'll be able to check on stock on Friday Sept 26 instead.

I know we *did* have some, and I'm sure we plan on getting them again .

If a variety of small to medium size beads are available, would you prefer mostly one size, 2 sizes, or a range?

And would graduated strands be less (or more) preferable?  I believe I saw some 4x6 to 8x10mm graduated strands early this Summer.

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
Russ Nobbs
Administrator

R&T Owner

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 04:59:13 pm »

Greetings from Hong Kong, Luann....

I know we have some carnelian amongst the strands we've picked out but don't temember size. However there are 2 kinds of carnelian - red or dark red (heat treated)  all the same color or multicolor. The one is often called red carnelian and the multicolor often called natural agate or multicolor carnelian. Which do you like?

These "nesting" dog bone beads are the latest "hot deal" over here. We picked some up in most stones and all the new, colored so-called quartzes. They are particularly nice in the opalized "quartz."

I don't remember getting any graduated size ones in either carnelian but I will watch for them.

Russ Nobbs
Owner and Bead Addict
Russ Nobbs
Administrator

R&T Owner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 04:32:27 am »

Oh... we may be talking different dog bones here.

The classic dog bone or knucklebone shape of CHinese turq is a sort of irregular squared off nugget with bigger ends - our 20-464. This style is now made in a lot of stones.  I just bought more in nice chinese turquoise this afternoon.
http://www.rings-things.com/Catalog_Pages/137.htm

The "hot" new shape is a nesting dog bone or dumb bell shape, very polished, not irregular at all.

You'd probably like all kinds? <g>

Russ Nobbs
Owner and Bead Addict
Luann Udell

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 05:23:11 pm »

Hi, I recently saw a fashion jewelry piece made with carnelian beads in a shape R&T offers as "knucklebone" shape.  I've also seen it referred to as "dog bone" shape.  I haven't been able to find this shape in carnelian yet.  Is it something you might offer in your catalog?
thanks,
Luann

Luann Udell
"Ancient Stories Retold in Modern Artifacts"
Wall hangings, sculpture and jewelry inspired by prehistoric and tribal art
Luann's website
Luann's blog
Luann's art jewelry shop
Luann's more whimsical jewelry shop
Luann Udell

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 04:21:17 pm »

Oh, to be bead shopping in Hong Kong.....  :^)
I'd say smaller to medium sizes, and 6-12 strands, depending on costs.  So anything that avoids that 50 strand minimum would be appreciated!  Is this doable?  Thanks so much for looking into this for me.
Luann

Luann Udell
Luann's website
Luann's blog
Luann's art jewelry shop
Luann Udell

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 02:07:30 pm »

Two sizes, maybe one strand of graduated would be fun--I'm easy to please!  :^)  I'm just delighted to have finally found these!
L.

Luann Udell
Luann's website
Luann's blog
Luann's art jewelry shop
Luann Udell

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 05:07:44 pm »

Russ said:

I know we have some carnelian amongst the strands we've picked out but don't temember size. However there are 2 kinds of carnelian - red or dark red (heat treated)  all the same color or multicolor. The one is often called red carnelian and the multicolor often called natural agate or multicolor carnelian. Which do you like?

Oh, Russ, you are talking to a true beadaholic here....the answer is, all of 'em! :^)  Or rather, I like both of them.

I think I saw the original necklace design in an issue of "Accessories" magazine, and immediately thought, oh cool, I've never seen than shape in anything but Chinese turquoise.  Glad to know I "spotted" a trend in its early phases! ;^)

Some time, I hope you write an article for a magazine on what it's like being on a bead-buying trip.  It must be exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time.  How you make purchasing decisions--do you buy from trusted suppliers or new vendors; how you determine whether what you see is truly marvelous and a buy-it-now item, or whether it's the next "in and out"item like power bracelets (which were great while they lasted!)...whoops, gotta go, family movie night!
Luann

Luann Udell
Luann's website
Luann's blog
Luann's art jewelry shop
Luann Udell

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 10:52:38 am »

(sigh)...So I'm *not* on the cutting edge...  ;^)
The ones I saw are the rough-cut dog bone or knucklebone shapes in carnelian, and those are the ones I'd love to get.  Two or three sizes, 2-3 strands of each, and a graduated one would be fun, too.

My work isn't too "polished", but now I'm curious what this new shape is.
This is too much fun--kinda like an international bead shopping cart!  :^)
Luann

Luann Udell
Luann's website
Luann's blog
Luann's art jewelry shop
Russ Nobbs
Administrator

R&T Owner

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 06:32:57 am »

Sorry, I can't send you a picture tonight. Dee & I just finished bubble wrapping everything and getting it ready for the freight consolidator to pick up tomorrow.  <whew!> If I get a chance I'll shoot a pix of some of that shape and e-mail it or post it on the bead collector.net site.

Russ Nobbs
Owner and Bead Addict
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: