Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:14:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8444 Posts in 1727 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Misc. Stock Tips & Questions (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  Sharp cutters or Scissors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sharp cutters or Scissors  (Read 2697 times)
David Robertson

« on: August 22, 2002, 09:05:08 am »

Hi, Stephanie, :icon_01:

Out of the stock that Rings & Things carries, the best tools for this are on <font color=green>page 215 of our catalog</font color>.  Items 65-700 and 65-600 are the inexpensive cutters we have, and I lean toward the Ū.50 4" clipper...

For really, really precise snipping, sometimes I commandeer a tiny, sharp pair of groomer/trimmer scissors (available at the drugstore).  They're more expensive than our stuff, but for some jobs they're superb.  :icon_37:

-- Dave

Dave Robertson
klindsay

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 09:00:03 pm »

I don't want to suggest getting anything NOT from R&T, but as a backup pair of side cutters, I got a pair from my local Sears hardware. If you get the Craftsman brand, you can get them replaced FREE for your lifetime. Comes in handy when you cut heavy metals like memory wire. Sears says they won't chip, but memory wire is harsh on cutters! I'd advise picking up a whole set of pliers from them if you have the cash. They're about บ apiece, and they're a super set to have for cutting and bending metals of all kinds. They have chain nose, round nose, flat nose and bent nose pliers, and quite small side cutters. I haven't had any trouble fitting them into very tight spots. I also have my special German-made tools, but I try not to use them for cutting anything more than beadalon or softflex.

-kaje

DangerousCurvesCJD

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 07:00:55 am »

I'm looking for some sharp scissors or cutters, that I can use for trimming the threads when I close my bead tips.

I need a pair that will get a nice clean cut and that can get in to really small spaces.

Thanks a bunch
Stephanie

Dangerous Curves
Custom Jewelry Design
Salem, MA
DangerousCurvesCJD

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 11:06:10 am »

Dave to the rescue! :-)

Thanks for the information.

Dangerous Curves
Custom Jewelry Design
Salem, MA
David Robertson

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 11:47:46 am »

Hi, Kaje,  :icon_06:

Thanks for the great tips.  A lifetime guarantee is too good to pass up, so crafters who know they really need to invest in tools for the long run will want to look into that.  Until Rings & Things stocks items like that, Sears has us in a corner.  :icon_13:  And so far, we're still not offering those nose-hair trimmers I mentioned, either...

--Dave

Dave Robertson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: