Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:11:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8175 Posts in 1686 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Beads & Beading (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  Beaded Suncatchers/ for windows & cars
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beaded Suncatchers/ for windows & cars  (Read 4774 times)
beadsquirrel

« on: January 19, 2003, 08:13:00 pm »

I make suncatchers using colored artistic wire, about 20 gauge. (Whatever the strongest wire is that will pass through my beads.) At one end of the wire make a hook by bending about 1" of the wire back onto itself, then fold that U in half so it looks like the hook of a hook & eye sewing notion. Then put on a bead, bend the extending wire at an angle or twist, curve, or whatever, then continue to add beads as you wish. At the end where you want to attach the crystal, thread the wire through the hole and make a flat spiral or curlique to keep the crystal in place. For ideas in using wire, go to the WigJig website. (If you can't find it let me know and I'll look up the address for you.)

If you did not want to use colored wire, and only want to "string" beads, I'd recommend a strong stranded beading wire (like Beadalon or tigertail) and secure the ends with crimps. You could form a loop at the end that would slip over the hook on a suction cup. Make a larger loop that would accomodate the "tail" being passed through it (like making a lark's head knot) if you wanted to slip this aroung the post of a rearview mirror, maybe. Or perhaps a small jewelry clasp that would connect back into the strand making a loop. Hmmm, maybe just make a 2" hook, bending it around a pencil to make the curve fit over the mirror post. The longer hook would balance better and probably not swing off.

I hope this makes sense and that I have given you some ideas. Let me know what works best for you.

Wherever you go take joy!  
                 Blessings, Sherrill
beadsquirrel

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 02:46:24 pm »

Great idea, too, Polly.

Adding a chain would be ideal, even to add to the "top" of what I suggested so that the clasp would have a link into which to hook securely.

This just goes to show that an idea first bounced off others can grow and become better with another's insight.

Hmmm.... better get back to my  beading desk....

Wherever you go take joy!  
                 Blessings, Sherrill
RAH

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 01:56:43 pm »

I want to make some beaded suncatchers using the large Austrian Crystals on the bottom (attached by suction cup to window) as well as rear view mirror suncatchers but have never beaded.   I have no idea what kind of string/wire to use, how to begin, how to end and what end pieces to use in order to attach/hook them.  Can anyone give me simple instructions on making a straight line item like this???  Thank you!!!
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 04:20:32 pm »

Those are great ideas, that all sound like they would work well.

You could do some very fancy, or fairly basic, designs using Artistic Wire or ColourCraft Wire.  Pretty unlimited.

Also, I agree that Beadalon finished with crimp beads, is a good material for stringing items that will swing around in a car.

To simply hang a crystal (with no other embellishments) from a rear-view mirror, you can use half a 16" or 18" inexpensive cable link necklace chain.   Cut the chain in half, and re-attach all the clasp pieces on one half of the chain.  Use a triangle bail to attach the crystal over this chain.
This is a quick inexpensive way to get rainbow crystals in people's cars -- kind of "entry-level" for the people who aren't brave enough to put your more artistic versions in their cars!
If you make many of this style, you'll need to buy some more clasps to use up the other half-chain pieces.

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
Heidi
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 12:50:53 pm »

I make mine on bracelet sized memory wire.  I glue a sterling memory wire end on the tip, run a prism crystal down to it, and just bead like crazy from there until the entire thing is covered.  And it spirals down from wherever you're hanging it, whether it be from a suction cup, a length of chain, or a thumbtack stuck into your window frame.  They make great baby shower gifts, too, just by spelling out Baby's name with porcelain letter beads.  I try to find out what colors are being done in Baby's room, and pick my beads accordingly.  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: