Rings & Things Community Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:57:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
This forum is archived (closed for new postings).

Have you tried our blog? Great tips and techniques at: http://www.rings-things.com/blog.

Questions? Send us an email, or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BEAD.FANS.
8413 Posts in 1723 Topics by 1427 Members
Latest Member: GlassHouseArts
* R&T Home Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rings & Things Community Board
|-+  Jewelry-making, Gallery and Stock Q&A
| |-+  Other Jewelry-making Tips and Questions (Moderators: Todd, Polly)
| | |-+  Best lining for jewelry boxes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best lining for jewelry boxes  (Read 5832 times)
garhof

« on: March 14, 2007, 11:54:41 am »

I've started to build some jewelry boxes to try and make some money and blow of some stress from classes.
I was going to line them with velvet or suede leather, but recently i read that some types of velvet and other cloth can damage silver and gold.  
What is the safest lining that i can put in my boxes.

Thanks for any help.
marym

pop rock wanna be

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:07:09 pm »

I've never heard that these materials will damage the softer metals but now that you mention it I've always seen boxes lined with satin. Maybe that's why?

**Mary Tafuri**
garhof

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:40:29 pm »

Thanks, i'll check it out.  I had gotten most of my information from this site:
http://www.home-museum.com/How-To-Arts/Fabric/Fabric.htm
but i've also read that leather, and chamois leather is not good on silver.
so my 2 choices of velvet and suede are vetoed on conflicting sites.  im trying to find out the correct answer.

I just dont want some angry person to call me up in 5 years due to the fact that my liner is eating away at their jewelry.  
I figured you guys would be the most knowledgeable on this stuff.

Thanks
Russ Nobbs
Administrator

R&T Owner

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:58:35 pm »

Fabric stores sell an anti tarnish material used to line jewelry boxes and silverware boxes.

Russ Nobbs
Owner and Bead Addict
Polly
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:48:52 am »

Body oils will tarnish sterling silver and many other metals. Leather has oils in it as well, either naturally occurring or added to keep the leather supple.  So I would steer clear of any type of leather.

Fabric has a baffling array of chemicals added for coloration, or as part of the process of creating the basic fabric itself.  However, most of them seem ok -- they don't seem to cause many problems when jewelry is packed into a suitcase with clothing.  But that's only short-term....

Inexpensive jewelry boxes frequently use a flocked velvet-like surface, which is soft and non-abrasive.
Traveling jewelry pouches are often velvet-like, rather like the fabric square given away with the purchase of a nice pair of prescription glasses, or like a jewelry cleaning cloth.

For long-term safety, I think it would be best to find a material that specifically advertises itself as anti-tarnish.  Anything else will be doubtful, because even if it is from a product category that other people have used safely, the manufacturers can change the make-up at any time, not realizing that people are using it for jewelry purposes.

Polly Nobbs-LaRue
Systems Manager -- Rings & Things
garhof

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:51:05 am »

thanks for the info!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: