How to make wrapped leather bracelets

Triple-wrap leather bracelet with blue tigereye beads

Let me begin by stating the obvious – this style of wrapped leather bracelet is EVERYWHERE this season. Everywhere! Even my athletic clothing catalogs – which only have maybe three pieces of jewelry – are featuring this style. Why? Because it is casual yet chic and infinitely customizable! The catalog (which shall remain nameless) priced each bracelet at $120. Needless to say, you can make your own for far, far less using supplies from Rings & Things!

leather wrapped gemstone bracelets

Five different leather wrapped gemstone bracelets designs: green opal, mookaite, African turquoise, hematite and rhodonite

The supply list is pretty short:

• 4-6mm round beads We used gemstone beads, but glass, crystal beads or pearls would also be lovely. The number you need depends on how many times you want to wrap the bracelet around your wrist. Larger beads work too – but they will start getting heavy on multiple-wrap styles. All the bracelets pictured in this post use 6mm. Our new wrapped bracelet kits use 4mm beads. <– The kits are great, because once you make your first bracelet, you’ll have plenty of thread and needles left over with which to make many more!
  • Leather cord Our examples use Greek leather. Both the 1.5mm and 2mm worked great.
  • Thread Needs to be sturdy and able to pass (doubled) through your beads twice. Pick a color that matches your leather or that provides a pretty contrast. We used size D Super-Lon (specifically, the earth assortment). We now have tubes with all black or all brown bobbins available too!
  • Button or bead for the clasp. Rings & Things has some pretty buttons from TierraCast.
  • Required tools: needle (size 12 is a good general choice), scissors, work surface with clips or clothespins.
  • Optional tools: needle threader, thread conditioner, glue (GS Hypo Cement, Bead Fix or other fabric-friendly adhesive for extra security on your knots).

Wrapped bracelet made with green opal gemstone beads and natural Greek leather.

The technique:

1. Choose your bracelet length and cut your leather. The formula is double your finished bracelet length plus extra for making the knots. For single-wrap bracelet, measure your wrist and then triple that number to get the length of leather needed (7″ wrist = 21″ of leather). For a triple-wrap, multiply your wrist by seven (7″ wrist = 49″ leather). It is better to leave your leather too long than to end up with not enough.
  2. Cut a long piece of thread (10-12 feet) and thread your needle. Knot the end of the threads.
  3. Knot the leather and thread together, leaving a loop on the end.

Holding the thread by the knot, let the needle fall to the ground so it is centered on the thread. Fold your piece of leather in half, leaving a loop large enough for your button to fit through. Holding the knot-end of the thread with the leather, tie an overhand knot so that your thread and leather are now connected.

Make sure your button will fit through the loop before you tighten the knot.

4. Attach your piece to a work surface.

Using binder clips or clothespins, attach your loop to the top of a piece of cardboard. Use a second clip to attach the leather ends to the bottom of your board (leave the thread loose).

5. Starting with your thread in the middle of the two strands of leather, wrap the thread OVER the right strand to the outside, then UNDER the right, OVER the left to the outside, then UNDER the left and OVER the right. It is a simple figure-8 stitch.
    how to stitch a wrapped leather bracelet

Over, under, over, under – once you get a rhythm going, the bracelet is super easy to make!

Do this 5-6 times, pulling the thread tight around the leather to form a binding. (The pattern could go either way, but since I’m right-handed I’m going to describe it this way. Reverse it if needed!) Here is a close-up of the lashing:

A few stitches without beads secures the thread nicely on the leather.

6. Now you are ready to start adding beads. After your thread has passed UNDER the left leather, add a bead. Hold the bead between the two strands of leather, and stitch the thread OVER the right, back UNDER the right, THROUGH the bead hole again and OVER the left. Bring the thread UNDER the left and add another bead in the middle. Repeat many many times! Keep the beads pulled in snugly against the leather. Pay attention so that your stitches all face the same way. If your thread seems to snag a lot, use a bit of thread conditioner or beeswax on it.

Adding the first bead to a wrapped bracelet – but really I’m posting this picture to show off Jaci’s manicure!

A work in progress. See how the beads line up inside the leather?

7. To finish the bracelet, form several stitches without beads, just like you did in step 5. Now you are ready to attach your button or bead. Ideally, you’ll have enough leather left to tie on a button with a nice knot on the back and trim the ends.
    button end for wrapped leather bracelet

Long tails makes it easy to tie on a button closure.

If your button has a small loop, you might need to miter (angle) the leather end and pull it through with pliers.

Buttons, disk beads and crimp ends can all be used to finish the bracelet ends.

If somehow you come up short, all is not lost. You can tie a disk bead onto just one strand of the leather (use glue to enforce your knot), like on the 2nd bracelet from the left. Or if your ends are really short, use a hook-end crimp, as shown on the pink bracelet on the right.

8. If desired, add a touch of glue to the knots to ensure the thread is gripped securely by the leather. Trim ends as needed.

Other design options:

• String your button or bead clasp first, then tie a series of knots on the end to make the bracelet length adjustable.
  • Use jump rings to attach a couple of charms, like on Mollie’s Belle Star bracelet.
  • Leave the leather tails long and add beads or decorative knots.
  • Substitute a different type of cord for the leather, as in Tracy’s rattail and dragon blood jasper design:

wrapped gemstone bracelet with rattail instead of leather

Have fun creating your own wrapped bracelets! You’ll find it is quite addictive once you start. Please feel free to post questions – I will do my best to answer! ~ Cindy

Need supplies? Rings & Things ships around the world! The most popular wrapped leather bracelet supplies are:

Other how-to’s:

How to etch copper | How to wire-wrap a briolette
How to dap & dome metal jewelry
How to make interchangeable magnetic jewelry with 1″ buttons
How to make Pi-day earrings using mini bottle caps as pans

Q: “How do you start a new thread in the middle of the bracelet?”

(answers selected from replies to blog comments)

A: It’s best if you can avoid running out of thread (start with 10-12 feet to avoid running out). But if you do, start a few beads back and go through them again. This means you’ll have to go through some of your beads 4x, which (depending on your beads and cord) might be impossible. Other problems are that your bracelet will be weaker than if you were able to use 1 continuous thread, and you’ll be able to see the section that has twice as much cord as the rest of the bracelet.

A2: Get really good at hiding knots in your beads. =)

A3: If you’re down to just a tiny bit of thread, it is going to be hard to tie the ends onto new strands, but if you realize you’re not going to make it and cut off the needle, rethread and knot the strands together, you can probably pull the knot inside of a bead. I hope this makes sense – basically you’re not “starting anew” but pausing, adding on some extra thread and picking up right where you left off. :)

www.rings-things.com

Print Friendly

Free U.S. Shipping on orders over $100!
Use code: FSPFREESHIP at checkout.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

314 Responses to “How to make wrapped leather bracelets”

1. hi omg this bracelet is gorgeous!!! i will definitely try it this weekend~ It’s a style for human personality

2. Ava says:

Thank you so much. I have been making these all day! Just love them! Great advice!

3. Lona Rose says:

Hi, do you think it is possible to use embroidery thread for the leather and the thread? Thanks a bunch!

• Cindy says:

Hi Lona Rose! As long as the embroidery thread fits through your beads 2x, it should be fine. I’m not sure that embroidery thread would be sturdy enough to substitute for the leather though. Rattail cord or even heavy waxed cotton might be a better choice if you are looking for a non-leather option. Good luck! :)

4. Elizabeth says:

Great Instructions! I love the design, and just made one and its was super easy! Thanks!

5. Debbie says:

I’m using Nymo Size B thread and a big eye needle. Unfortunately this needle has frayed my thread and broke during the making of my bracelet. What kind of needle would work best?

Thanks!

6. Debbie says:

I’m using Nymo Size B thread and a big eye needle. The needle has frayed my thread and broke. Can you suggest what needle I should be using?

Thanks!

7. Debbie says:

Hi Cindy!

Thanks so much for the info and chart. Will have to pick up some size 10 sharps. Love the chart – so glad I’m not an electron microscope therapist!

8. Krista says:

Hi–

Thanks for the instructions. Do you have any suggestions for starting a new thread in the middle of the bracelet? If the bracelet is long, it’s hard to use thread that’s long enough to go all the way to the end, so I have had to try and start new ones partway through, and it’s not as smooth as I would like. Thanks!

• Cindy says:

That is a problem, isn’t it?! I try to hide the knot where I’ve added more thread inside a bead. If you add more thread before you are really and truly *out* it is a littler easier to disguise it. Good luck!

• Wendy says:

Do you have instructions for hiding the knot inside the bead and starting anew? Can’t visualize how it stays together!

• Cindy says:

Hi Wendy! Sorry, no illustration…I’ll try to explain better: if you’re down to just a tiny bit of thread, it is going to be hard to tie the ends onto new strands, but if you realize you’re not going to make it and cut off the needle, rethread and knot the strands together, you can probably pull the knot inside of a bead. I hope this makes sense – basically you’re not “starting anew” but pausing, adding on some extra thread and picking up right where you left off. :)

9. Saskia says:

Is it possible to make a leather knot closure at the end instead of a button, disk or maybe a sliding knot closure? And how would you do that, do you then start different with a macramé knot perhaps?

Don’t have the thin cord yet so have not started yet to try out

• Cindy says:

Hi Saskia! Yes, there are many ways to customize this design. I think if you left long enough leather tails at the beginning and end, it would be possible to make a sliding knot closure like this one: http://bit.ly/xzVVnu. Hope this helps – I’m not 100% sure I understand your question exactly so if I’m off base, just let me know! :)

10. Michelle says:

Great information thanks for sharing!!! If you were going to do a 5 wrap what formula would you use? Ex. wrist size 6 5/8 inches.

• Cindy says:

Hi Michelle! The formula I use is [wrist size] x {number wraps} x 2 + [wrist size] – kind of funky, but that extra wrist size addition gives you the extra length needed to tie knots. I would round your wrist size up to 7″ just because the math is easier and it is always better to have too much leather vs. too little. So a five-wrap would be 7 x 5 = 35″ x 2 = 70″ + 7 = grand total of 77″ of leather.

11. Belinda Curry says:

What moss green beading thread did you use on the rattail and dragon red bracelet? It does not look like normal beading thread. I would like to try that thread! Love that design!

12. tracy says:

Threading needles frustrates me so I avoid that whenever I can. I used the 61-514-52 sage green needle end beading cord. I really liked how it turned out.

13. This kind of bracelet is really nice – and your photos have an awesome style too.

Keep up the good work…;-))

14. Annaliese says:

What do you do with the thread at the end of the bracelet? do you tie it through the button as well?

• Cindy says:

Hi Annaliese! As long as the thread is knotted along with the leather at the end, it doesn’t need to go through the button. Just trim the thread close to the knot and add a dab of glue for extra peace of mind if you like.

15. Nan Clute says:

Cindy,

Great instructions and photos. Made my first one last night, but the beads are “popping” out from between the leather strips. Did I weave too tight or too loose? They lie okay on the work surface, but when I pick it up the beads (towards each end) do not stay in line. Help? Thanks! ~Nan

• Cindy says:

Hi Nan! I would guess that those end beads are maybe a bit too loose. If the holes are large enough, stitching through those beads an extra time helps keep them in place. I just made a bracelet with 4mm beads and didn’t have to struggle to keep the end beads inline the way I did with 6mm, so that might be an option for the next time. Best of luck! :)

• Nan Clute says:

Thanks! I’m going to start over – I like the idea of double stitching the first 2-3 beads. I used 6mm – it’s really pretty – just needs a little tweaking! ~Nan

16. Saskia says:

I could not wait for the supplies to come in so I tried 3 with some white bead tread I found. 1 with 4mm beads and 3 with 6mm beads and on all 3 the first bead (and last one) comes popping out. The first bead the most (like Nan0. I start with a button clasp ( from a silver blank made 2 holes in it) So i can make a adjustable closure at the end, maybe that’s not good??

I used 1 mm, 1.5 mm and 2 mm leather cord

I am not double stitching the first few bead so try that for the next one. Also when i roll my fingers over the beads they move very easy making the first bead to go up even more. I can make big holes between the beads. I have the idear that I have them very tight when i am putting the beads on I pull very hard and they stay in line.

When I put the tread to the bead for the second time my bead is not laying between the cord but i hold the bead between my fingers. My fingers hurt a bit and this makes it easier but maybe thats the problem?

I also did it righ-handed and i am left handed but don’t think that could be it.

Hope you can tell me what of the 3 things (or all 3 lol) is the problem so the next one will be good and don’t have to spill any more leather cording;o)

I will try a sliding knot closure when all beads stay in place.

• Cindy says:

Hi Saskia! Yes, double-stitching the first/last beads can help. Rita, one of the designers here, likes to start/end with slightly smaller beads (for example, 4mm when the rest of the bracelet is 6mm). Both of these things can help, but the biggest factor is definitely tension.
      Keeping the beads flat and tight between the leather is really important. If you’re left handed, why not do it left handed? I know I struggle doing things opposite. I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

17. Rene' says:

Hi Nan,

My daughter makes bracelets for women but husband wants one for men.
    This tutorial looks awesome and I am going to try tonite. I was wondering if you thought 8 mm beads were too big. I have some emerald beads that I think would look cool, but if they are too big, I don’t want to waste my time making it too hard.

Thanks, Rene’

• Cindy says:

Hi Rene! 8mm beads can work – I would suggest using smaller beads and the start and end since that will help prevent the beads from “popping” out of the leather. Also, a single wrap bracelet with large beads will have less stretching/distorting issues than a triple – and will probably look more “manly” too. Hope your project turns out great – have fun!

18. Omega says:

Hi! Thanks for the fantastic tutorial! One question..what kind of glue do you use for the leather knots?
    Thanks!

19. Cathy says:

I am about ready to make a bracelet, I have made a few practice ones….I am not sure how to attach the button when there is just one hole on the apple blossom button and two cord ends!!!

Help!! Cathy

20. Cindy says:

Hi Cathy! The first image after step 7 (kinda) shows this – tie an over hand knot with both strands of leather, add the button to one strand, and then tie another knot. Hope this helps!

21. Cindy says:

Hi Omega! There are a lot of glue options … just make sure whatever you use lists leather or fabric as a compatible material. Super glues get brittle so try to avoid those. This is my favorite – Hypo Cement. https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/Adhesive-GS-Hypo-Fabric-Cement-2070p26158.htm

22. Melissa says:

Hi I’m going to be making NINE of these as bridal party gifts. So I was ok with getting enough cording and buttons for closures, but having trouble figuring out how many beads to get. For a double wrap bracelet how many 6mm crystals would you recommend for one bracelet?

• Ashley says:

depending on the wrist size… personally I do the following

5.5 wrist= 48 6mm beads
      6″ wrist = 50 beads
      6.5 =52 beads
      7=54 beads
      and so on, hope this helps :)

• Bobbie says:

Ashley – this is great information. I’ve only made ONE bracelet, double wrap, and I’ve got all the dimensions for cutting the leather cord. I just don’t know when to stop with the beads! Do you have (or Cindy) any kind of guide for how many beads (in inches, so it doesn’t matter what size you use) for single, double, 3, 4 and 5 wraps? I have a 16″ length of beads in the one bracelet (not including the button or the ties at the opposite end? I flunked math every year – and still have to ask my husband questions like: how many little sticks in 5/8ths of an inch?

• Cindy says:

Hi Bobbie! I’m not much for math either, but it is pretty easy if you figure the knot/button clasp adds about 1″ to the bracelet, so the beaded section should be 1″ shorter than your desired bracelet length. So, single 7″ bracelet = 6 inches of beads. Double = 13″ beads. Triple = 20″ of beads. Or thereabouts :) Happy beading!

23. Cathy says:

Ok………I can NOT get this needle threaded……size 13 Beading needle and the thread the instructions said to use…. i have tried the needle threader I final get it in the eye of the needle… and then get the thread through that… it wont go through the eye without shreading the thread……………errrr

HELP….. Cathy

24. Cindy says:

Sorry you are having trouble Cathy – needles can be so frustrating! Try a size 10 needle. It has a slightly larger hole. http://newnativenation.info/guide.html

25. Cindy says:

Hi Melissa! I’m going to round up quite a bit – always better to have too many than not enough … If you figure 14″ of beads per bracelet x 9 bracelets that is 126″ … so eight 16″ strands. Swarovski crystals aren’t sold by the strand, but there would be about 70 on a 16″ strand. So… 70×8 = 560 beads … divide by 144 (# in a gross) and you get about 4GR of 6mm crystals to make your bracelets.
    Long answer to say: about 60 6mm beads per 2x wrap bracelet! :)

26. Ashley says:

I am trying to find a tutorial that takes this bracelet to the next level with a row in the middle… I found it here and would LOVE to know how its done…
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/82872423/custom-single-leather-wrap-cuff it seems to me that they made one bracelet the length of a double wrap. bent it in half then did the figure 8 between the two rows… what I cant seem to figure out is how they are finishing the piece!? How to attach the what would be 4 strands of leather onto the button. Any help would be GREAT!! Thanks

27. Cindy says:

Hi Ashley! I think you are on track with how that bracelet is constructed – I’ve seen a lot of similar ones online and my best guess is that they use buttons with large shanks so those four leather ends can be knotted, probably in two knots, two strands each. Antique buttons or coat buttons might be the key.

28. kim says:

Ok.. so got all my supplies.. Have worked learning various knots, been playing with styles and such.. having one issue. Bought 4 ply wax thread and can’t get it through the beads twice. also have a pretty small needle, so not sure if that is a factor. I even pulled the thread down to make it 2 ply, and still can’t get it through the bead. I have a very large selection of beads from over the years, and seems most of them won’t work with this type of thread.. but i really like the look of the waxed.. any suggestions to what will pass through a smaller bead easier ? I tried a thicker cotton thread and it passed thru ok, but just couldn’t keep the tension on the thread to keep it tight enough. HELP !!

29. Cindy says:

Hi Kim! Yes, getting the right thread for the beads is the hardest part. We use Size D SuperLon thread – it is about 0.15mm, and most gemstone bead holes are around 1mm, so it easily fits most. I’m not sure how thick your waxed thread is, but I imagine if you used a single strand of something like our 0.4mm imitation sinew (which is waxed – I think the look you’re after) it should be able to pass 2x through the beads. You could also try using a fairly heavy coat of beeswax on your cotton thread to make it a bit grippier. Hope this helps! Good luck :)
    SuperLon: https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=M&resultCnt=10&keyword=superlon+thread
    Sinew: https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=M&resultCnt=10&keyword=sinew

30. Laurie says:

Hi Cindy,
    I just wanted to say thanks so much for this clear and detailed tutorial! As soon as I saw this post I knew I wanted to try it out. I made two bracelets back-to-back. The first one took about 1hr 30 min and the second one took 25 min lol. I used leather and acai seed beads which gave the bracelets a really organic look. I am in LOVE with them and I plan to do more.

Thanks so much again!

31. Marilyn says:

Cindy! I am very thankful for this tutorial. I am excited to try to make one…This is so clear,I just might be able to make one:) Wish me luck!

32. Cindy says:

Good luck Marilyn! You can do it!! Just stay calm at the beginning when the thread is really long…it gets funner and faster as you go! :)

33. Bumble says:

Hi

I’ve been reading this for a while and getting my supplies together and i was wondering, do the size of the beads matter? I got 6mm, 8mm and 10mm.
    And btw, this is so amazing, i hope to do these once i finish my exams and have nothing else to do :D

• Cindy says:

Hi Bumble! 6mm work great. I’ve become a fan of 4mm too – I have small wrists so they look more in proportion. I’ve seen designs with larger beads, or with small AND large beads – they all look great! Just make sure the holes on your big beads are too big, and consider the total weight if you’re doing a multiple wrap. Have fun!! :)

34. Jenny says:

argh… bought all the supplies the article links to, and can’t get past the first step.
    i bought size 10 needles.
    i bought s-lon cord (via the link above)
    I cannot thread my dang needle. even a threading tool won’t work. how are y’all doing it???

• tracy says:

I know this is a bit late but I hate hate hate threading needles – so I use our needle end bead cord 61-514-xx. It comes in various colors so you aren’t forced to chose between black and white and you don’t have to thread it! :) which is my favorite part.

35. Cindy says:

Sorry you are having trouble Jenny! I guess I’m just lucky and am able to (usually!) thread needles with no problem…I ended up threading several for other jewelry team members who were struggling! All I can suggest is: holding the needle up to a bright light and/or use a magnifier – use super sharp scissors so the thread doesn’t fray at all – and if all else fails, beg a friend or a stranger at a coffee shop to thread it for you! Good luck! :)

36. Marie says:

Hi Cindy!

I recently began making these wrap bracelets and am hooked on them as well. However, I did a Google search for making these and came upon your blog, which just was so informative even for someone who has been making them already. You provided great information for estimating the length of the leather and threads as well as the number of beads required and the best tip I’ve found was how you wrap the threads 5-6x at the start and end as well as starting and ending with a smaller bead and double stitching them. Terrific! So glad I found your blog!!!!

37. Melissa says:

I love this tutorial. Ladies the bracelets do get easier as you work them. I have 2 of 10 done and I did them in about 2 hours. Cindy thanks for responding to my question, unfortunately I didn’t see it until I started so I ended up with 52 on each one, they could use a little more but the wedding is too close and I can’t wait any longer. I also had to make mine with the bead(button) first and offer several openings to close due to the varying sizes of us in the wedding. I love them. To those that are having trouble with threading I use the big eye needle and Wildfire bead weaving thread size .15 and had no trouble with threading or fraying. It also (don’t ask how) but it seems to help with the tension too, once you pull in tight it stays I had no trouble with loose beads. Again thanks for the tutorial and my best friend is a happy bride, and with any luck the rest of the bridal party will be too when they get their present.

• Cindy says:

I’m sure they were all thrilled Melissa! What a great gift. I just made one that was a bead too short (because I ran out of thread) but it is my favorite to wear since it doesn’t slide around on my wrist.

38. naomi pine says:

Hi,
    How do you fasten the thread off at the end of the bracelet? I’m having terrible trouble with it!

• Cindy says:

Hi Naomi! I like to stitch back through the lashing after the last bead, then tie a knot in the thread and THEN tie the thread and the leather together in an overhand knot. I wish I could sketch this for you. A dab of glue on the leather/thread knot can also be helpful. Hope this helps! :) Cindy

39. Jane says:

Hi,

The bracelet looks beautiful and the tutorial is so helpful. We featured it on our blog to help crafters who like to make the leather wrapped bracelets. Check out the link here: http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/2012/05/free-chan-luu-style-wrapped-leather.html

Cheers!
    Jane

40. Melissa says:

I love this bracelet! I’m gonna make one to wear this summer.

41. Joy says:

I would love to make this and I have everything but the leather cord. Is there any other substitute I could use? Would shoelaces work?

• Cindy says:

Hi Joy! A shoelace bracelet sounds really fun! You can sub any type of cord for the leather – the resulting bracelet just might be floppier, like Tracy’s green rattail version above. Good luck!

42. Juanita says:

Thanks so very much for the tut. I’ve been eyeing these for a while. I just ordered my leather cord yesterday and will use supplies I have on hand. A great way to use your stash. Thanks again. When I make mine I will post online. :-)

43. peter says:

I love the tutorial. I am working on a mens bracelet with onyx 6mm beads and small skull beads for my first attempt.

My question is with regard to thread tension. I am using micro c-ion and am having problems keeping the tension on the “left” sided cord as I thread over the right, around and back through. The right side seems to hold good tension but not the left threads. Any suggestions how to add tension to the thread?

• Cindy says:

Hi Peter! I think it is natural to have one side seem easier, depending on if you are right or left handed. The only solution I’ve found is to take the time to pull each stitch in tightly by hand. I hope I’m understanding your question correctly, and that my answer makes sense. Basically, it just takes a little extra effort on the loose side to make it tight. Good luck! The skulls and onyx sound great together!

44. Kathy says:

For everyone struggling with threading a needle, here is the answer! I can’t find the label on the package, but they are long, 3 or 4 inches, pretty thin, very flexible and have a huge hole right in the center of the needle. You can’t see the hole. It’s as though 2 thin wires are attached at the ends. The needle separates in the middle. The separation in a 4 inch needle is about 3 inches. You can almost stick your hand through! You just open it up and stick the thread through. Although the needle is quite thin, I have never had one break and they go through the bead holes like a dream. You can get them at your local craft store in the beading section.

45. Louise Marie says:

hello Cindy.. i love the tutorial its really easy t understand – but im having one absolutely mammoth problem which is getting me fustrated!! I need to buy enough beads to make a triple wrap bracelet. I am making them in swarovski beads, so they are expensive and i dont want to buy too many.. and i dont want to be left with too little.. I know it says 20″ of beads for a triple wrap but that doesnt mean much until im actually making the bracelet :( Would you please be able to count how many beads you have used on a triple wrap bracelet you have made and let me know what size they are too? It would help me so much i cant find information on bead quantitys anywhere!! :(

Louise Marie xx

46. Cindy says:

Hi Louise Marie! I use 120 4mm beads or 80 6mm beads for a triple wrap. It takes just two or three beads to lengthen the bracelet by 1/2 inch. Usually you get a MUCH better price on Swarovski crystals when you buy them by the gross, which is 144 beads, so I highly recommend doing that!
    For anyone who wants to do the math, there are 25.4 mm in an inch. Just divide 25.4 by the size of your bead (for example 6mm) to figure the number per inch (6mm = 4.2 beads per inch).
    Good luck! Happy beading :)

47. Skyla says:

loved the bracelet

48. Amanda says:

Great insturctional, and your bracelets are beautiful thank you for the post.

Jewelry Rage

49. Donna says:

Cindy-

Do you ever have problems with the leather cord finish cracking? Have you ever tried saddle soap or other oil? Haven’t gone to the store to buy it yet, so thought I’d ask if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions first.

Thanks,
    Donna

50. Cindy says:

Hi Donna! I haven’t had a problem with the leather cracking on bracelets, but in general I know saddle soap is good for cleaning leather. However, it will dry out and lead to further cracking unless you then seal it with an oil. My concern would be that the oil might stain clothing, so it is probably a good idea to test a piece first and see what happens. Greek leather is less susceptible to cracking since it is very supple and has a durable finish, but any leather that gets nicked could then dry out…so I’d love to hear if you or anyone else figures out a good solution!