Wandering Journal Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Mollie Valente
- Mark and punch a pair of hanging holes on the front and back metal blanks.
- Follow the instructions that come with the BIGkick™ to emboss the brass blanks.
- Colorize the metal blanks with alcohol inks and Snow Cap mixative, allow to fully dry.
- For more hints, check out the Tim Holtz Snow Cap Mixative Blog Post.
- For added durability, seal the finish with a water-based sealer, and allow to dry.
- Use the reliefing block to polish the high points of the embossed design.
- Patina the key.
- Cut 5 pieces of paper just slightly smaller than the metal blanks.
- Create a binding by gluing the page tops together with Crafter's Pick™ The Ultimate adhesive and allow to dry.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- Punch hanging holes in the page tops that match the holes in the brass blanks.
- Assemble the journal with jump rings in this order: brass heart front, paper pages, and brass back.
- Add the key charm to a jump ring.
- String the ball chain through the jump rings and add a clasp.
- 1 each #60-280 Adhesive, Crafter's Pick™ The Ultimate
- 1 ea #86-110-001 Adirondack® Alcohol Ink
- 1 ea #86-110-004 Adirondack® Alcohol Ink
- 1 ea #86-115-049 Adirondack® Alcohol Ink Mixative
- 1 pkg of 10 sets [use 1 set] #44-721-03 Blank, Rectangular Door with Heart-Shaped Window
- 1 spool [use 24"] #40-889-6 Chain, Footage, Ball, 1.8mm, 100ft
(Optional: Try our new #40-800-24-30-6 semi-finished ball chain necklace with clasp. Use full 30" length or cut shorter.)
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 1, not shown] #40-801-6 Clasp, Ball Chain, 1.8-2.4mm
- 1 doz [use 1] #44-455-0 Charm, Key, 17x7mm
(Pictured, but no longer available. Suggested substitutions: #44-455-1 in white, or #44-940-35-AB, about 20% larger)
- 1 oz [use 2] #37-167-6 Jump Ring, Round, 8mm
- 1 ea #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- #69-325-006 DecoEmboss™ Die, Moonlit Night
- #69-324 Sizzix® BIGkick™, Vintaj® Edition
- #69-275-53 Tool, Baby Wubbers™, Chain-Nose Pliers
- #69-275-58 Tool, Baby Wubbers™, Flat-Nose Pliers
- #69-235 Tool, Metal Punch, Two Hole
- #69-056 Tool, Side Flush Cutter
- #69-327 Vintaj® Metal Reliefing Block
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here.
- 1/16" round paper punch (from craft supplier)
- Paper towels
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Upcycled map or other paper
- Water-base sealant such as Mod Podge® from craft store (optional)