Skullhead Barrette Tutorial
Created by: Rita Hutchinson
- Cut your metal sheet to size and file the edges.
- Clean with Penny Brite® and scrubby until water sheets off. Only handle by the edges from this point on.
- Stamp your design once, cleanly, and lift the stamp straight off. Allow the ink to dry without disturbing further. If needed or desired, touch up the inked design with black or red Sharpie® marker.
- Etch as directed following instructions in the kit.
- File edges further if needed. Patina with Win-Ox™ and highlight with the sanding sponges.
- Cover the entire surface with acrylic paint dabber and allow to dry. The light color of paint will make the ink colors stand out.
- Apply alcohol inks as desired and allow to dry.
- Use sanding sponges to remove paint and ink from high points of design.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- Gently curve etched piece with bracelet bending pliers. Do not form to the full arc of the pliers, just use them along the length to create a gentle arc.
- Use a sanding sponge to remove oxidation from back of piece, and glue barrette with E-6000.
- When glue is dry, apply Renaissance® wax to front and back of copper. Buff with cloth once it is set.
- 1 each #60-265 Adhesive, E-6000, 0.5oz
- 1 each #86-415-003 Adirondack® Acrylic Paint Dabber, Metallic
- 1 each #86-110-053 Adirondack® Alcohol Ink
- 1 each #86-110-003 Adirondack® Alcohol Ink
- 1 dozen [use 1] #30-523 Barrette, 60mm, Genuine French, Nickel-Free
- 1 each #45-210-001 Kit, Etching Supplies
- 1 each #86-915 Renaissance® Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish
- 1 each #83-101 Sharpie®, Extra Fine Point
- 1 pkg of 6 [use 1/2 of 1 strip] #64-981-20-100 Sheet, 20 Gauge, 6x1"
- 1 each #86-343 Win-Ox™, 3 oz.
- #69-228 Tool, Pliers, Bracelet Bending, Nylon Jaw
- #69-257 Tool, Sanding Sponges, Set
- #69-230 Tool, Shear, 7"
- Baking Soda (from grocery store)
- Citric Acid (from grocery or health food store)
- Cloth or Rag
- Duct Tape (from hardware store)
- File (from hardware store)
- Green scrubby type sponge
- Felt pad ink applicator (hobby store)
- Plastic Containers
- Rubber Gloves
- Rubber Stamp (from hobby store)
- Styrofoam™ "float" (available from craft supplier or upcycled packing material)