Purple Pearl Bird Necklace Tutorial, Strung on Silk Cord
Created by: Sondra Barrington and Polly Nobbs-LaRue
- Prearrange your design by tracing the bezel, and creating a mock-up arrangement on paper.
- Place items in bezel and set them in place with a dab of two-part epoxy glue. Let dry fully (24 hours) before applying concrete.
- Mix the concrete from the EnCapture Artisan Concrete™ kit following the manufacturer's recommendations.
- For more information on creating mosaic jewelry, check out the Rings & Things EnCapture Artisan Concrete Blog post.
- Apply the concrete mix to the bezel to embed the mosaic's pieces.
- Remove excess concrete from your embedded treasures as you work using a damp paper towel, cotton swab or toothpick.Continued Below...
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- If you do not like large grains of sand from the concrete being visible in your design, you may be able to bury them by gently poking them down into the wet concrete with a toothpick.
- When you are done creating, rinse the syringe and allow it to air dry for future use.
- Once concrete has cured, gently clean around embedded treasures with the straight carver.
- To get the second piece of silk cord through the pendant loop, you may need to form a needle out of a scrap piece of thin wire.
- 1 each #60-230 Adhesive, Epoxy, 330
- 1 strand [use 1] #20-634-273 Bead, Freshwater Pearl, Potato, 4mm, Purple
- 1 strand [use 1] #28-335-27 Bead, Glass, Bird, Assorted
- 1 dozen [use 1] #46-900-120-9 Bezel Cup, Round, 20mm, 1 Loop, Gunmetal
- 1 each #59-100-11-AP Button, Cast, Radiant Round, Antiqued Pewter
- 1 each #82-575-00 Concrete Clay, Kit
- 1 pkg of 5 [use 2] #61-472-10 Silk String, 2mm, Handmade, Muted Mix
- 1 strand [use 12] #22-315-1 Trade Bead, Aluminum, Spacer
- #69-291 Tool, Set, Zebra Stripe, Six-Piece Set, Black/ White
- Cotton swabs (for cleaning treasures after they are embedded)
- Damp paper towels/moist towelettes (useful for cleaning up as you go)
- Paper & pencil (for tracing bezel)