Puppy Love Pin Tutorial
Created by: Mollie Valente
- The Complete Metalsmith (#62-011) provides a useful chart for selecting saw blades.
- Use rubber cement to adhere a paper Scottie dog pattern to the brass. Saw the design out. File the metal to shape.
- Repeat process with patterned brass heart.
- Use a soldering iron to add soft solder to the backside of the rhinestone chain and heart. Turn over, and place pieces on scottie dog blank.
- Solder the heart and rhinestone chain to the Scottie dog blank from below with a micro torch.
- Clean the metal, patina, and polish. Clean back with rubbing alcohol.
- Cut adhesive dot to fit the bar pin. Adhere to Scottie dog backside.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here.
- 1 gross [use 1] #60-302 Adhesive, Dot, 10mm Round
- 1 0.5 gross [use 1] #38-103 Bar Pin, 1" Imported
- 1 ea #69-078 Flux, Liquid, LA-CO® Brite, 4oz
- 1 meter [use 0.75"] #46-349-30-042-0 Glass Rhinestone Chain, 3mm
- 1 ea #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- 1 ea [use 2x2"] #64-990-20 Sheet, 20 Gauge, 6x6"
- 1 ea [use 0.5x0.5"] #64-999-4287 Sheet, Brass, Tiny Floral Pattern
- 1 ea #69-068 Solder, Choice™
- #62-011 Book, The Complete Metalsmith: An Illustrated Handbook
- #69-189 Cut Lube, 2oz
- #69-169-52 Knew Saw Frame, Cam-Lever, 5"
- #63-537 Polishing Cloth, Brilliant
- #69-257-0000 Polishing Paper, Assortment, Wetordry™
- #87-080 Rings & Things Micro Torch Kit
- #69-339-20 Saw Blade, #2/0 #69-417 Soldering Iron, Hakko®, 60W
- #69-261 Tool, Bench Block & Clamp
- #69-142 Tool, Needle File Set, 10pc
- Cotton swabs
- Paper towels
- Rubber cement (from craft or hardware store)
- Rubbing alcohol