Key Elements Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Polly Nobbs-LaRue
- Layer watch gears, vinyl/vulcanite heishi and a piece of a colorful aluminum can (cut to size) between key hole window blanks. Rivet the items into place to create a pin or pendant.
- Since the superior quality pin backs already have 1/16" holes, there is no need to punch holes for riveting.
- Plan your layout before hole punching and riveting. The rivets that hold the top and bottom gears, also connect to the pin back.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here. Suggested Elements
- When cutting holes with the Crafted Findings riveting system (or any "helicopter" style punch) always unscrew the handle until the piece naturally falls off. Never tug components off the punch.
- Texture the top blank as desired. For this design, the edges of the rectangle and keyhole were lightly textured with a ballpein hammer to give them a worn look. Patina if desired.
- Vinyl/vulcanite heishi or other disks or beads act as spacers for the rivets on the four corners.
- Turn the pin into a pendant, by adding a Vertical Brooch Converter, and hang it from heavy ball chain.
- 1 pkg of 50 [use 1] #38-303 Bar Pin, 1", Superior Quality
- 1 pkg of 10 sets [use 1 set] #44-721-10 Blank, Rectangle with Key Hole Window
- 1 dozen [use 1] #38-610-01-6 Brooch Converter, Vertical
- 1 spool [use 16-20"] #40-885-6 Chain, Footage, Ball, 4.8mm
- 1 dozen [use 1] #44-455-0 Charm, Key, 17x7mm
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 1] #40-805-6 Clasp, Ball Chain, 4.8mm
- 1 ounce [use 1] #37-100-6 Jump Ring, Round, Assorted Sizes
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 7] #69-920-01-2 Rivet, 1/16", Sample Pack, Short
- 1 strand [use 8] #22-535-021-SM Trade Bead, Plastic Heishi, Vulcanite, 4-7mm
- 1 strand [use 2] #22-535-74 Trade Bead, Vinyl, Heishi, 6mm, Green
- 1 ounce [use 3] #44-704 Watch Gears, Mixed, Bulk, 1oz
- 1 each #86-343 Win-Ox™, 3 oz.
- #83-101 Sharpie®, Extra Fine Point
- #69-907 Tool, 1/16" Long Reach Rivet Piercing/ Setting (The original length #69-900 will also work.)
- #69-135 Tool, Hammer, Ball Pein, 4oz
- #69-136 Tool, Hammer, Nylon
- #69-409 Tool, Lindstrom®, Shear
- #69-365 Tool, Ring Clamp
- 0000 steel wool (from hardware or craft store)
- Aluminum can (This project upcycles an Arizona Green Tea can)
- Cotton Swabs
- Masking Tape