Hearts Across the States Keychain Tutorial
Create a custom key chain with 2 home cities hand-stamped on a USA blank.
Created by: Janet Boyington
- Stamp hearts in desired locations on USA blank, and then use the "." (period) from the punctuation set to connect the hearts. (New to metal stamping? See Metal Stamping 101)
- If necessary, use nylon or rawhide hammer to re-flatten the blank.
- Punch hole (For proper technique, see Learn More tab of hole punch.)
- Patina with Novacan.
- If needed, sand blank to remove any large scratches.
- Polish to a mirror finish with Ultra polishing pad.
- Use split ring pliers to add split ring. Split rings are much more durable than jump rings -- perfect for key rings!
- Cut ball chain to desired length, thread through jump ring, and add clasp.
- 1 each #44-720-53 24ga Brass Stamping Blank, United States, 22x37mm
- 1 foot (use a few inches) #40-080-02-24-1 White Plated Steel Ball and Bar Chain By The Foot, 2.4mm
- 1 each #40-870-03-1-EA White Plated Ball Chain Coupling, Size 3
- 1 gross (use 1 piece) #41-216-1 6mm Split Ring
- #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- Sanding sponge
- Polishing Pads
- Heart stamp
- Dot stamp, or period from a punctuation set of stamps
- Steel Bench Black (A rubber base help dampen sound and prevent bounce.)
- Brass Hammer
- Optional: Nylon hammer or leather mallet for flattening blank after stamping
- Wire Cutters
- Split Ring Pliers