Go West Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Mollie Valente
Making the Pendant: Continued Below...
- Cut the handle loop of the heart charm and file smooth.
- Mark hole locations with a Sharpie®, and use the hole punch to make two 1/16th-inch hanging holes in the upper corners of the state charm.
- Prepare the blanks by cleaning with a 3M™ sanding sponge.
- Apply flux and then heat with a torch to melt a thin layer of solder to the backside of the heart blank.
- Apply flux again, and position the heart (solder-side down) on the state charm.
- With a torch, heat the blanks until the solder melts and the heart blank "settles" onto the state blank (use a soldering pick to keep the heart blank positioned correctly. Allow to cool before moving.
- The Washington state blank is no longer available. However, we do have USA blanks!
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here. Suggested Supplies
- Wash the blank with soap and water to remove the flux. Remove any discoloration by sanding with the 3M sanding sponge.
- Use a cotton swab to apply patina to the pendant. Rinse with water and dry.
- Polish with an Ultra polishing pad to a high polish, leaving a dark line of patina around the heart blank. Assembling the Necklace:
- Use 15mm round bail-making pliers to create a half-round bend in the center of the wire. Harden the wire by gently hammering/flattening the bend area.
- Use the 1-step BIG Looper pliers to form a 3mm loop on one end of the half-round wire. Add two faceted-cube beads and form a matching loop on the other wire end.
- Twist open one of the loops and attach to a hanging hole on the state blank. Add the three large hole spacer beads and then repeat with the second loop.
- Thread the leather cord through the three large hole spacer beads.
- Add a center-crimp tube with loop to one end of the leather cord; apply glue prior to crimping.
- Add a center-crimp tube with hook to the opposite end of the leather cord; apply glue prior to crimping.
- 1 each #60-280 Adhesive, Crafter's Pick™ The Ultimate
- 1 each #44-710-10-BR Brass Blank, Washington State, 24g
- 1 each #69-068 Choice™ Solder
- 1 each #44-780-18 Copper Blank, Heart with Handle
- 1 each #69-078 Flux, Liquid, LA-CO® Brite, 4oz 1 each
- 1 pkg of 5 meters [use 16"] #61-132-05-02 Greek Leather, 2mm, 5 Meter - Black
- 1 each #41-151-98-25-3 JBB Silver Plated Center-Crimp Tube with Hook, 2.2mm I.D.
- 1 each #41-151-99-25-3 JBB Silver Plated Center-Crimp Tube with Loop, 2.2mm I.D.
- 1 each #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- 1 spool [use 2"] #47-205-16 Red Brass Wire, 16ga, Round, 32'
- 1 strand [use 2] #26-830-1 White Plated Beads, Faceted Cube, 2.5mm
- 1 gross [use 3 ] #26-120-1 White Plated Metal Beads, Large Hole Spacer
- #69-257-0005 3M™ Sanding Sponges, 1200-1500 Grit
- #69-329 Blazer® Stingray Micro Torch
- #82-596 Craft Brush, Metal Handle
- #69-252-01-4 EURO TOOL Flat File, 6", #4 Cut
- #69-271-99 EURO TOOL Glitter, Four-Piece Set
- #69-138 EURO TOOL Hammer, Chasing
- #69-235 EURO TOOL Metal Punch, Two Hole
- #63-528 EURO TOOL Polishing Pads, Ultra, 2x2"
- #69-056 EURO TOOL Side Flush Cutter
- #65-710 The BeadSmith Pliers, 1-Step BIG Looper
- #69-182 Tool, Fire Block
- #69-118 Tool, Rubber Block
- #69-125 Tool, Steel 4" Square Block
- #69-427 Tool, Titanium Soldering Pick
- #69-275-23 Wubbers X-Large Round Jewelry Bail Making Pliers
- Cotton swabs
- Triple-refined butane
- Extra fine-point Sharpie