Flight Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Rita Hutchinson
- More detailed information on metal etching can be found on the Rings & Things blog post: DIY Copper Etching tutorial.
- Cut copper strip to size with shears, hammer flat with nylon hammer, and file edges as needed.
- Prepare sheet for etching.
- Create your design using rubber stamps or draw free-hand with a permanent marker.
- Etch as directed following instructions in the kit and blog post.
- Clean piece and punch holes as desired.
- Create wrapped loop links to connect dragonfly charms directly to 1.5" section of chain.
- Attach the chain to the pendant.
- Create additional wrapped loop dangles and attach to necklace chain as desired.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- Patina the completed necklace, and use steel wool and polishing pads to highlight as desired.
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 12] #23-404-000 Bead Cap, Glass, Flower
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 12] #26-814-02 Bead, Round, 2mm
- 1 spool [use 19.5"] #40-700 Chain, Footage, Cable
- 1 each #88-701-14-446 C-Koop Beads Glass Enameled Copper Charm, Dragonfly - Light Blue
- 1 each #88-701-14-271 C-Koop Beads Glass Enameled Copper Charm, Dragonfly - Purple
- 1 each #88-701-14-151 C-Koop Beads Glass Enameled Copper Charm, Dragonfly - Pink
- 1 pkg of 100 [use 9] #37-065-22 Head Pin, 1.5", Thin
- 1 ounce [use 8] #37-100-7 Jump Ring, Round, Assorted Sizes
- 1 each #86-322 Liver of Sulfur, XL Gel, 2 oz.
- 1 each [use 1] #63-528 Polishing Pads, Ultra, 2x2"
- 1 each #83-101 Sharpie®, Extra Fine Point
- 1 pkg of 6 [use 1] #64-981-20-100 Sheet, 20 Gauge, 6x1"
- 1 dozen [use 1] #30-620-20-7 Swivel Clip, Auto Close, Small, 22x9mm
- 1 spool [use about 12"] #47-405-22 Wire, 22ga, Round, 125'
- #69-251-PL File Handle, Plastic
- #45-210-001 Kit, Etching Supplies
- #69-252-01-2 Tool, Flat File, 6", #2 Cut
- #69-136 Tool, Hammer, Nylon
- #69-235 Tool, Metal Punch, 2 Hole
- #69-383 Tool, Safety Glasses
- #69-230 Tool, Shear, 7"
- #69-056 Tool, Side Flush Cutter
- #69-125 Tool, Steel 4" Square Block
- #69-275-09 Tool, Wubbers™, Bent Chain-Nose Pliers
- #69-275-03 Tool, Wubbers™, Chain-Nose Pliers
- #69-275-02 Tool, Wubbers™, Round-Nose Pliers
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here.
- 0000 steel wool(available from hardware supplier)
- Baking Soda (available from grocery store)
- Citric acid (from the grocery store)
- Duct tape (available from hardware supplier)
- Paper towels
- Rubbing alcohol
- Rubber gloves
- Styrofoam™ "float" (available from craft supplier or upcycled packing material)
- Two plastic containers
- Rubber Stamp