Earth and Sky Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Mollie Valente
- Cut copper sheet to desired size and flatten with the nylon hammer.
- Etch the metal with desired pattern using a rubber stamp of your choice.
- To etch the metal, check out the Rings & Things metal etching blog post.
- Cut wire in half and shape swirl links; hammer flat with chasing hammer. Patina and polish to desired finish.
- Use jump rings to attach to etched pendant.
- Cut cording into four equal pieces, use two for each side. Fold cording around wire link swirls and string large-holed beads on cord.
- Add center-crimp loops, adjust to desired length and crimp.
- Use jump rings to add clasp.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
- 1 pkg of 10 [use 2] #25-129-2 Bead, Bone, Oval Tube (Antiqued)
- 1 pkg of 10 [use 8] #49-947-52-AC Bead, Cast, Spacer, Bali-Style, 8mm (Antiqued Copper Plated)
- 1 16gram pkg [use 8] #25-080-985 Bead, Ceramic, Heishi, 8x2mm (Aegean Mix)
- 2 ea #41-151-99-25-8 Center-Crimp Tube with Loop, 2.2mm I.D. (Copper Plated)
- 1 pkg of 10 [use 1] #39-195-03-AC Clasp, Cast, Beaded Hook & Eye (Antiqued Copper Plated)
- 1 spool [use 6'] #61-790-07 Cord, Fine Suede Lace, 1.5mm, 25yd (Navy)
- 1 ea #86-280-01 Ferric Chloride
- 1 ea #86-160-001 Jet Black, Ink Pad, StazOn®
- 1 oz [use 2] #37-136-7 Jump Ring, Round, 5mm (Antiqued Copper Plated)
- 1 oz [use 2] #37-167-7 Jump Ring, Round, 8mm (Antiqued Copper Plated)
- 1 ea #86-324 Liver of Sulfur, Gel, 4oz Jar
- 1 pkg #69-257-0000 Polishing Paper, Assortment
- 1 ea [use 1x1-3/4"] #64-980-24 Sheet, Copper, 24g, 6x6"
- 1 spool [use 3"] #47-405-16 Wire, Copper, 16g, Round, 32' (Solid Copper)
- #69-275-53 Tool, Baby Wubbers™, Chain-Nose Pliers
- #69-275-58 Tool, Baby Wubbers™, Flat-Nose Pliers
- #69-275-52 Tool, Baby Wubbers™, Round-Nose Pliers
- #69-252-01-2 Tool, Flat File, 6", #2 Cut
- #69-136 Tool, Hammer, Nylon
- #69-138 Tool, Hammer, Swiss Style
- #69-235 Tool, Metal Punch, 2 Hole
- #69-350 Tool, Safety Glasses
- #69-230 Tool, Shear, 7"
- #69-125 Tool, Steel 4" Square Block
- Baking soda
- Duct tape
- Rubber gloves
- Styrofoam™ "float" (available from craft supplier or upcycled packing material)
- Two plastic containers