Cave Man Necklace Tutorial
Created by: Jaci Boston
- Carefully plan the cutting pattern. The shape of these cuts creates decorative prongs or tabs to hold the gemstone slab bead.
- For this design draw the shape to be cut with a Sharpie®. For a more intricate pattern, print out an image of the design and glue it to the metal with rubber cement found at any office supply center.
- For tips for sawing sheet metal with a jeweler’s saw, check out our blog post.
- Punch holes for adding chain, and to embellish the tabs.
- Texturize the metal, and patina to add more depth to the metal.
- For other metal jewelry inspirations, including a project with an explosion prong, check out Kim St. Jean's book Mixed Metal Mania (#62-900).
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos Suggested Supplies
To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here.
- 1 strand [use 8] #49-957-05-7 Bead, Cast, 5mm Heishi
- 1 strand [use 8] #26-834-7 Bead, Faceted Cube, 4.5mm
- 1 strand [use 1] #21-005-198-40 Bead, Red Creek Jasper, Faceted Freeform Slab
- 1 strand [use 6] #21-880-198 Bead, Red Creek Jasper, Round, 10mm
- 1 strand [use 4] #21-886-198 Bead, Red Creek Jasper, Round, 6mm
- 1 spool [use 20-24"] #40-099-07-7 Chain, Footage, Rollo, 4.5mm
- 1 dozen [use 1] #39-348-7 Clasp, Lobster, 22mm
- 1 each #69-189 Cut Lube, 2oz
- 1 ounce [use 10] #37-722-7 Eye Pin, 2", Standard
- 1 ounce [use 1] #37-178-7 Jump Ring, Round, 10mm
- 1 ounce [use 9] #37-145-6 Jump Ring, Round, 6mm
- 1 each #86-310 Novacan Black Patina
- 1 each #64-980-24 Sheet, 24 Gauge, 6x6"
- #63-537 Polishing Cloth, Brilliant
- #69-339-60 Saw Blade, #6/0
- #69-261 Tool, Bench Block & Clamp
- #69-138 Tool, Hammer, Chasing
- #69-235 Tool, Metal Punch, Two Hole
- #69-142 Tool, Needle File Set, 10pc
- #69-172 Tool, Saw Frame, 4" with Screw
- #69-291 Tool, Set, Zebra Stripe, Six-Piece Set
- Cotton swabs (to apply patina)
- Extra fine-point Sharpie