Caribbean Breeze Earrings Tutorial
Created by: Tiffany White
- When making wire jewelry projects, it is always helpful to have more wire than is needed, as it is difficult to get your design perfect on the first attempt.
- Cut the 18-gauge bronze wire into two 3" pieces (for the ear wires) and two 4" pieces (for the "swirl" designs)
- Use round-nose pliers to mold the wire into a swirl design.
- Using the hammer and rubber block, flatten out the "swirl" design and the earring wires.
- To wrap the briolettes, cut the 22-gauge wire into two 6" pieces.
- Make a 90-degree bend in the wire at about 1.5".
- String the briolette through the wire until you reach the bend, and then bring both pieces of wire together at the top of the briolette.
Free Technique Sheets & How-Tos To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download it free here. Suggested Supplies
- Using your chain-nose pliers, pinch two wires together. Wrap the longer wire around the shorter wire and then continue to wrap the longer wire down the length of the briolette.
- After you have wrapped the wire about ½" down the briolette, pull the wire neatly across the briolette, over your previous wrapping, and securing it at the top.
- Use the short length of wire to create a loop at the top. Secure by wrapping around a few times. Clip both pieces of wire as flush as possible using side cutters.
- Use either round-nose pliers or chain-nose pliers to tuck in any excess wire.
- Assemble the wrapped briolette, "swirl" design, and earring wires using chain-nose pliers and small jump rings made from excess 18-gauge wire.
- If desired, use steel wool to smooth out design.
- 1 strand [use 2] #21-000-007-09 Bead, Gemstone, Puffed Briolette, 16x12mm (Amazonite)
- 1 spool [use 12"] #47-800-18 Wire, Bronze, 18ga, Round, 200' (Bronze)
- 1 spool [use 24"] #47-800-22 Wire, Bronze, 22ga, Round, 514' (Bronze)
- #69-126 Tool, Chasing Hammer
- #69-273-03 Tool, Ecco, Chain-Nose Pliers, 5"
- #69-269-02 Tool, German, Round-Nose Pliers, 4.5"
- #69-269-05 Tool, German, Side Cutter, 4.5"
- #69-118 Tool, Rubber Block
- 0000 steel wool (from hardware supplier)